Career change – where to start
By “career change”, I mean a complete switch of your professional direction. You start a new career in a field that is not necessarily related to your previous jobs.
Here is a brief list of steps I recommend to you to begin with. No matter whether you are totally decided or still just considering it, you can already start with these steps.
More information about the job world related to your new career idea can help you to take the decision.
Why not start with the following steps?
- collect ideas on what your new, meaningful and satisfying career could be
- gain lots of information about the new field(s) and the related job market(s)
- build contacts with people who work in or know the field(s)
- find out about typical requirements
- when you have more information, reconsider the career ideas, either narrow them or search for some new ideas
- build a group of people you trust and who will support you through the change
- start developing those relevant competences that you may lack
- find opportunities to gain some practical experience
- learn how to present yourself effectively in the new field
- learn how to find out about published – but also unpublished – job opportunities
- make a job-search strategy plan and start working on it
If you decide to use career coaching for all or some of the steps, the role of the coach will be to help you make sure that you do not change from one not-so-satisfying career into another not-so-satisfying one. That means, the coach can help you clarify what exactly your needs are, as well as your preferences, values, and interests, and can then help you to reflect these in your new career choice.
At the same time, it will be important to filter your ideas through the reality of the job world, and the coach can help you with doing that too.
Career change can be great and help you live your life in a meaningful and balanced way. However, changing into a very different career may also take time, money and effort. It is crucial that you find some people (relatives, friends, professionals) who will encourage and support you through that change.
If you would like me to help you with your career change through coaching, you can contact me here.